magda's travels

After a year at home in San Diego I picked up and moved to Tanzania, so I thought I would dust off the old blog again so I could keep people up-dated on my life. But as always its content is not a reflection of the U.S. government, Peace Corps or anything else.

Thursday, October 05, 2006

magda's travels

magda's travels
Let me tell you all a story, it took place this weekend, but I have the distinct suspicion it could happen a great many times in my next two years here. I went to Ganja with my work, which is great because it meant I got to see another city, learn something AND see my friends out there. I was supposed to be there for one night, but arriving at work on Thursday I was told we weíre leaving that night instead- a day early. We took the company car, which was great because it saved me the travel costs and an hour. Also meant that my co-workers took the first part to have language lessons what is a hill, a canyon, goat you get it. Then that got boring for us all and we settled into listening to some Turkish music. When we were 20 minutes outside of the city the car stopped working about we slowed to a stop. My co-workers got out and start looking around, looking at the ground and the side of the road, I thought maybe a part of the car had fallen of. I was wrong what they were looking for and found was string. I was fascinated to find out how string was going to restart our car. And impressed when it worked. What happened was this, they pulled some tube out of the gas tank and siphoned a bit of gas out spit that out then tied it off with the string and closed the gas tank with the tube hanging out. I asked what the tube was and was told that American cars donít have it and no one really knows what it does and this one co-worker had figured out some time ago that this worked. And it did every time we broke down it worked until the next time, all six times! We got there safe and sound and I had a great time and arrived with a story to tell so not at all a bad trip in.

While there I got some good food but of all the meals I ate there I have to say two standout to me the breakfast each morning where I got to have cereal with a banana thanks to Larry my gracious host AND the PB and J I had on bread fresh out of the oven! Man that sandwich rocked and it was all the better ëcause I ate it watching Arrested Development with Ben. I wish I could have sat in that chair all morning,..dayÖ forever ( I was exhausted from the night before) . But, I made the responsible choice and took the earlier of the two afternoon buses because you never knowÖ

When I returned to town I went to my friendís place he was cooking dinner for me and his family oven baked chicken, rice and corn bread (Awesome food) but one thing- the electricity was out and had been all day so at 6:30 we decided it was time to make a broth and boil that chicken we through in all the veggies including 6 jalepeno peppers and it made for a nice and spicy chicken. At seven the power came back and we got to back the cornbread! So it all worked out. I guess life is just like that in Peace Corps you got to have a plan B. If the electricity is out use the gas and if your car stops find some string!





In Peace Corps, like most other times living abroad, itís the little things. The little things that build up your everyday, that shape the experience. For me my day starts with my walk to work. There is of course the pre-game. Will I bring my computer today, if so I lug it, if not risk being without it when inevitably the day starts to linger. So as you can guess by now, today I decided to bring it, and my day has started to linger on. Pre-game ends with breakfast and a brief conversation with my host mother then Iím out the door and in the world. We are supposed to be community members, and I try to make an effort to be that. So I smile and try to be as routine as possible. I take the same path and leave roughly at the same time everyday. That way, I see the same people, in hopes that the new kid in school vibe I get from everyone eventually wears off a bit. Although, I admit that I clearly donít mind as much as some that all the girls giggle as I walk by, itís like Iím the cute/cool new kid. And by saying hi to the kids or younger women, they might also be cool. (And reading this it sounds like ego, but trust me for good or bad being different separates you and can make you a celebrity, currently I choose to take the good and ignore the bad ñ Iím sure it will wear on me eventually.) But, I realized that this routine was as much for me as it is for my integration. I want to become part of the community and familiarity is the only way I know how. And this week I notice progress. And of course it was in the little things, my smiling game had escalated into actual saying hello to one woman everyday- in my head I call her the well dressed Azeri woman. This is not at all meant to admonish other Azeri women, but this lady walks up the street every morning with immaculate posture and is completely put together. She doesnít make me feel sloppy or regret my fashion choices, rather I feel good. And on my way to work I find myself looking for her everyday. As we see each other approach we smile, and with a simple hello we continue on our way to work every morning. With that my walk to work is made. And I feel like I have won some small accomplishment, that I am on my way to being a member of this community- All because the well dressed Azeri woman said hello to me.

1 Comments:

At 2:42 AM, Blogger marsy said...

Well matt, I can ask about the gas tank thing, but when I did I at the time I was told that it was something of his own invention. Yeah fitting in and becoming part of community is a weird thing, like you said often you don't notice it until you leave.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home