magda's travels

After a year at home in San Diego I picked up and moved to Tanzania, so I thought I would dust off the old blog again so I could keep people up-dated on my life. But as always its content is not a reflection of the U.S. government, Peace Corps or anything else.

Friday, November 03, 2006

holidays and moving out


Josh moment of the week:
While looking at a cement tub full of water, Josh turns to Charlie and me and says, “Oh is this one of those water things”



A week of holidays oh boy!!!

So yes the week of holidays is over, alas! But I am just gearing up for America Day and Kasey’s birthday and Thanksgiving. But I am getting ahead of myself. The week started with a Monday Tuesday combo of holiday madness! It was the end of Ramazan. Meaning time to get your grub on, in a way that I think, even shames Thanksgiving. It is a lot like Thanksgiving especially like the one we used to have at our place in Redlands where 25 of your closest friends come and spend a long weekend or week at your place, except it’s a progressive party. Everyone goes ‘guesting’ (meaning to visit someone and be a guest) and eats at everyplace they go. So you host your friends, family and neighbors and they do the same for you for two days! The extended family stayed at my place for a week! (But that was also in part because they are gearing up for a weddings and had copious sewing projects to prepare.) I went to work wed and thrus and then off to Ganja for Friday work and dinner in Shemkir (smaller city outside of Ganja). Terah had some people over for bacon and veggie pizzas, and possibly some libations to follow… The next day we woke and Ben made ham and eggs with spinach and Kat made biscuits and gravy; there was also more bacon. First was my first experience with biscuits and gravy (I know I am extremely Californian- what can I say) I never understood the point. Bread and gravy…really? But I didn’t come all the way to Azerbaijan not to try new things right?! So I ate it and liked it but not as much as the Nachos we had for lunch, what can I say I am guess I will Always be a So-Cal chick and cheese and salsa will Always be good.

From lunch we went to the Halloween Party, which was great. Almost everyone was in costume and most were really creative, which is awesome to see. I think it is almost more fun to have Halloween outside of the states because it forces people to get really creative!

So that’s it for now stay tuned for next week with exciting highlights hopefully including some big moves of me and a site-mate, hosting my first guests up to fairyland, a weekend hike? And maybe I’ll even do some laundry.


Ok well the week is practically over and since I know I am not going to email over the weekend, let me offer a summary of the week. I am currently typing at my desk in front of my window at my NEW OFFICE! I love it. I get to listen to my music and watch the leaves blowing in the wind. No, I don’t have email at my office yet, but soon. Soon. What else has made this week exciting, Charlie moved into his new place, so now it is official, fairyland has it’s very own fort! And we will christen it tonight with a dinner party/ kasey’s b-day fiesta. That’s right Kasey is coming up, my first friend –ahhh. As we speak ( well as I type I guess) she is bounding up the mountains on a bus and will be here within an hour or so! We all plan on going hiking tomorrow so, I’m praying tomorrow is as great as today. I am really happy with my site, and work and life in general right now. It’s strange, suddenly the few things that weren’t right are or they are on their way back to what they are supposed to be. I am feeling more and more at ease here. My walk to and from work has changed, as my office has moved but it is only half as long and when I get there I like absolutely everyone there. Matt asked me to give a typical day at the office description and the reason why I haven’t yet is that, there just isn’t one, not yet. This week I bought dishes and tea equipment on Monday. Tuesday more shopping and my classes I was working till 7:15pm. Wednesday I went home at 9:45am there was nothing to do and I was sick, I slept til two ate then Josh asked me to help him with his work and I did til 4:30. Thursday I worked from 9 til 3:30, cleaning, mopping and arranging furniture and then went to language lessons and then to Josh’s to check my email, after that we met Charlie at the fancy restaurant to celebrate our big moves, I got home at 8:30pm and today I’ll be here for a few hours then over to CHF to work on America DAY. So I am not yet to the point that there is a real typical day, and I kind of doubt that there will ever really be that point. I don’t think Peace Corps really specializes in the typical day, but I will try to write more often so that you all get a better idea of my atypical days in Azerbaijan

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home