magda's travels

After a year at home in San Diego I picked up and moved to Tanzania, so I thought I would dust off the old blog again so I could keep people up-dated on my life. But as always its content is not a reflection of the U.S. government, Peace Corps or anything else.

Monday, December 04, 2006

Happy Thanksgiving and December too

So Yeah I am bad and haven't written in a while, I apologize. There has been a set back in my access to writing, namely my laptop. It isn't dead dead thank the dear sweet Lord it is however without a working power cord so I can only write on the occasion that I steal someone else's computer.

Although, I am well and there is an Apple store in Baku so hopefully when i go in for IST all will be like new. IST- inservice training in PC speak.

Anway on the show. Thanksgiving was amazing, always one of my favorite holidays it out did itself this year. Thanksgiving in Baku, started with Thursday night train into the city with Josh and possibly two bottles of vino. Arrived at 6:30am all gitty with the lack of sleep I had on the train. I don't know how it is that I sleep better on a minibus where I use glass and cold steel as a pillow, but I guess that is what they call adjusting. So there we are Josh and I in Baku 6:30 am and this old guy walks in front of me slows down a little and Farts! I look at Josh and ask the only obvious question, "did that guy just fart on me?" Yep he did, so we gigglefitted our way out of there and do straight to the Peace Corps lounge where we toasted the sunrise, something I hadn't seen in Baku before. And we walked in the lounge singing "There are no Cats in America and the streets and paved with Che ese."

So right there the weekend was off to a great start, after getting some work done three of us, Kat Terah and I agreed it was time to eat, but I had no desire to spend money, so we cooked in the Peace Corps offices. Breakfast Burritos and Pancakes with Coffee and Orange Juice and we fed the staff. I was awesome. After that I worked some more and then we were off into the city. Rachel, Joy, Kasey and I met Tom and Ash at the hotel and got ready for an evening on the town. Lot's of dancing!!!

Friday we woke up and went into the city where Kase, Rach, Joy and I got Lebenese food and shopped a bit before going back to the lounge before gong to our Thanksgiving homes. Peace Corps had arranged for us to stay with an Embassy family while in Baku so that we could have some comforts of Expatty Homes. And let me say. THANK YOU!!! it rocked hard. The Dude with which Kase Rach and I stay was in fact the DUDE! he hooked us up. showers, beds, laundry, call america if you want. He made us eggs in coffee in the morning and fed us til we popped. For me the laundry and the free calls to america actually made me fall, I was that happy!

So after we got clean we bounced over to the Thanksgiving dinner that the Ambassador and the Dept threw for us. Also amazing food, everything for home. Turkey stuffing pies galore!!! We ate up and drank up and then headed up stairs to a talent show. No one took anything seriously and it was a lot of fun. From there we went to Polio one of PC favorite bars, because it is cheap and really a bar/ resturant but if you come with 40 peeps they will turn it into a club. And I had a great time there and even got upside downed at Polio.

Sunday woke up ate eggs and went into Baku. I spent more time at the lounge and then off for Pizza. There is this place Pizza Holiday, where the pizza is like american pizza it is the best pizza in Baku and it is owned an American guy. He recently decided that because PC people work from the heart we should never pay for drinks at his resturant. I don't know if it is possible to make something that was your favorite more your favorite, but if so that's what happened. So we ate and drank with him a bit and the converstaion turned to Germany. So I went off how I love Germany, and miss it so especially during Christmas. And we both go off about Weihnachts markts and Glüwein and how the first glüwein of the season really marks the season for me. And he left and came back with 2Liters of it. I gush about how cool that is that he bought it last week and he, straight gives it to me! Two Liters unbelieveable. How can that be that Christmas this year I will have my Glüwein because of the generosity of an American living in Baku!!!


I will write again soon because I have tales to tell of the BEST WEEKEND IN SHEKI EVER!!! I hope you are all well!

2 Comments:

At 11:21 AM, Blogger Tom said...

Magda, the place is called "Pollo" not "Polio" Kind of a big difference.

 
At 12:10 AM, Blogger marsy said...

In response to the comments, yep there is a difference between chicken and a crippling disease...

And Emily I can't wait to see you again in life catch up over Glühwein -- which I aslo spelt wrong.

Ps tom I got my contacts are you are still blind!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home