magda's travels

After a year at home in San Diego I picked up and moved to Tanzania, so I thought I would dust off the old blog again so I could keep people up-dated on my life. But as always its content is not a reflection of the U.S. government, Peace Corps or anything else.

Wednesday, May 30, 2007

a busy little PCV






Hey Kids

So what have I been up to, well let’s see. Ash turned 30, we went camping in a gorgeous place in the mountains in Oguz, the neighboring region. We saw waterfalls, hiked up a river, got wet falling in the river. Slept out under the stars, had a bone-fire, made grilled cheese sandwiches over it, and had an over-all amazing time. I love camping, it’s just great. And to all of you wondering why PCVs go camping (the aren’t you roughing it enough argument) I’d say, precisely because we already used to sleeping in awkward places (read 6 hour marshrukta rides) already used to having to treat our water, used to being a little dirty and sweating, and not being able to shower exactly when you want to- so no, it’s no big deal, plus it’s beautiful. A few of us were talking about it and camping next to a river this weekend was the first time I’ve had running water on demand in months, yes nature offers more amenities that my apartment!

After camping we came back to civilization, showered napped, and headed out to 5-star class. We chowed down at the Sheki Saray (the big swanky hotel in town) cheeseburgers, sandwiches, salads, cheese platers, and pasta were consumed with gusto. The evening then moved on to Charlie’s where card games turned into a sing-a-long, no not kumbayah, we’re PCVs but not that hard-core mostly sublime and pearl jam songs- and no not one round of wonderwall.

The next day Charlie and I went to my office picnic. Fan-freaking-tastic. The weather was great, the location, a field of wild flowers bordered by a river trees and mountains. I don’t know how to explain it but to say it was the best most normal Magda day in Azerbaijan. I love my office staff, it’s like an extended family, or like the San Diego church, where they aren’t your family but they might as well be. There were two kids to play with, volley ball, chess, and pool. The food was great and overly plentiful. We stayed there from 11-7:30pm. What a great day.

As soon as I got home, Adam was arriving in Sheki, we went to dinner at my favorite outdoor café and then passed out from exhaustion, he from his trip and me from the weekend. Tuesday we got up and WORKED. He had come to help me with my website and we did just that from 10- 4:30, then ran an errand or two and went to softball played with the kids till 9-or so and came back to my place with josh and Charlie and made chicken fajitas- delicious!

Wednesday- at the office at 8:30 and from then till 1:00 worked on that website, then I scarfed down some soup and headed off to the interviews with Charlie (we interviewed kids for camp- more on that later)
I was there till 3, it ended early, then I made everything for dinner and some iced tea and cleaned. After that I crashed for a half hour from the heat and the week. Around 8:30 Charlie came over I ate tacos and we drank iced tea while he schooled my butt in dominoes. It has been possibly the best week in Peace Corps, and definitely one of the busiest! I am especially grateful to Adam who not only made the 10 hour trip to help me, also spent an hour throwing out all the trash in my apartment! What a friend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home