magda's travels

After a year at home in San Diego I picked up and moved to Tanzania, so I thought I would dust off the old blog again so I could keep people up-dated on my life. But as always its content is not a reflection of the U.S. government, Peace Corps or anything else.

Tuesday, March 06, 2007

March Madness

Well I got nothing new for you kids out there in Blog land

Since I have been declared to be random, chaotic in thought, ineffective with the text and utterly confusing; I choose to be set free by it and there will be no cohesion to this entry just a random smattering of thoughts or moments that have been experienced lately!

Since last I wrote:

I saw two apartments in which I could live, I went back a week later as we had discussed- they were both gone.

Sheki had visitors and Charlie finally played his guitar for a group- big moment for him!

We went to Baku for training. I had some great moments and fell in love with Jason’s beard.

Josh surprised me, profoundly.

We did not go out dancing.

I rode the night train all on my own like a big girl big moment for me!

I got a birthday package with thai food and chai mix that came just in time to cheer Josh up!

I received the ultimate compliment from my director- that my glasses looked like superhero glasses worn to maintain my secret identity!!!!

I watched First Knight, it is still a good movie!

And I have learned that the Azeri’s in Sheki call March, Crazy March, because the weather is constantly changing, and they are right. I have experience four seasons in the last two days. Snow, Rain, Wind, Extreme Heat, what have you, we’ve had it all.

Before I had a chance to submit this entry something of consequence did happen. “Old Man Heywood” a.k.a. Uncle John died. For those of you that knew him, met him, heard stories about him or even saw his business card you know, he was a great man (i.e. hysterical). He was kind and gentle and interested in the world (and left the world’s shortest answering machine messages).
But, more that any of that the man was a storyteller and God bless him, he could turn a phrase. I think will remember him as he described himself to my mother, “God Damn it, Mary Anna, I’m a Heywood. We’re not anchored to the truth!”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home