magda's travels

After a year at home in San Diego I picked up and moved to Tanzania, so I thought I would dust off the old blog again so I could keep people up-dated on my life. But as always its content is not a reflection of the U.S. government, Peace Corps or anything else.

Thursday, December 14, 2006

The Postman

As I have gotten a lot of clammering for a Day in the life entry, and as I still haven't gotten an idea what of a typical day for is I will give you snapshots.

The Postman- aside from what I have heard an entirely awful movie, is one of my favorite people in Sheki. The Postman Peace Corps volunteer relationship is critical. I have heard some bad stories, and imagine this man is truly what stands in the way of letters and pictures from home, and the end all be all in a Peace Corps Volunteers life-- the holy grail, the care package!

Charlie told me yesterday, that I had a package! I had been expecting it and was glad to hear that it had arrived before I leave town again. I knew that it would contain contacts, but what else! The suspense was palpable. --Side note, contacts are important because they help you see. I think parents should send their children contacts. Especially when they promised to, a long time ago, say August. Side side note: TOM I totally got my contacts before you, face it you are stuck with glasses for 2 years!

So where was I, oh yeah on the way to the Post office, which is not a far walk. I get my mail at the central post office in Sheki. I go in a large building turn one corner and there is my window. And I wait for my Postman to look up. That's something I do about 2-3 times a week. My Postman knows me by name. Magdalena, and usually a grunt. One grunt is an affirmationally yes there is mail for you. The other is no no silly girl there is no mail for you, why would you bother coming in when there is no mail???

I LOVE my Postman.

He is very old. White hair, scruffy face, black cap and jacket. One tooth not kidding, one. Charlie offered him gum once, he said "I have no teeth" and then showed him the one! If I go in between 1-2 (his lunch hour) I get no service. I get my mail from my Postman, or not at all- and I love that. Let me make it clear that there are other windows, and other people and I have tried going to them, nope no good. And the other post office workers are fine, but they just aren't the same as My Postman, so why bother. Honestly, if you had the option of picking up you mail from a living breathing character or just someone, which would you choose? There is also some fiest to the Postman. He wouldn't let Josh send a letter without a return address, Josh didn't want to put his address on the envelope, so the Postman refused to send it. Josh came back a week later and wrote the address down. If there is mail from any other country or for any other foreigner he will tell us. There was a letter supposed to go to Ireland, somehow it is in Sheki, he has shown each of us that letter at least once asking us what to do with it, we all say send it to Ireland. I think it is still here (so if you've ever lost a letter you can imagine the same situation is probably happening right now all over the world). If Josh has mail, he calls his host family. If I have mail, he calls Josh's host family!!! And if any of us stop by he will tell us if any of the other Peace Corps Volunteers have mail. I like it a lot!

My Postman doesn't necessarily believe in lines. If he sees me there is no point in waiting till I get to the front to tell me if I have mail or not. It is simply Magdalena, hhmmff. And depending on the tone I know if there is mail for me. Yesterday there was.
I get there and he is packaging someone's mail, sees me. "Magdalena, ... Hhmmff" Gets the form I need to fill out so I can do it while waiting. He gives me the package, finishes the form for me. I say thank you and begin to leave he stops me. Points to the package where my name is written, Magdalena? right? I answer that it is my mail and he looks at me again, and says "yes Magdalena hhmmff" we exchange thank you and good byes and I leave. I love that guy, you know me by name, and you told my friend I have mail. You recognized my face. You brought out the package. Took my signature. And just as I am leaving decided to ask if I was Magdalena. That's my Postman, couldn't be happier that I get two years to try to figure him out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home