magda's travels

After a year at home in San Diego I picked up and moved to Tanzania, so I thought I would dust off the old blog again so I could keep people up-dated on my life. But as always its content is not a reflection of the U.S. government, Peace Corps or anything else.

Monday, February 26, 2007

birthday round up


Happy Birthday to me… Azer- style (written on the 21th)

So let’s round-up the birthday thus far

“A very Pirate affair” rocked! I owe the biggest debt of gratitude to Mike who lent us his flat as he was out of town. A rotating group of friends hung out, slept, danced, washed clothes, watched dvds, sat about chatting, cooked, and or wore pirate hats all weekend. Basically, it was heaven. I am not exaggerating when I say that I believe that this weekend was exactly what I- if not most of my friends needed! So one more time with feeling –THANKS MIKE!

Prom was great, it was so unstructured that it turned into a two day dance, well played!

Charlie’s birthday was also good, mellow. I took him to dinner at the hotel- then we both crashed from the weekend. However, he is still receiving gifts from students so far he’s gotten some classics! I really liked the porcelain boy on a wire swing, and he got two different colognes so maybe they’re trying to tell him something hmmmmm!

My actual birthday was great from start to finish! Starting two minutes to midnight the texts started coming in from friends! I woke to a call from the states, Happy Birthday being sung by Popi, Steph, Doug and Kaz. Got to work, sung to again, and again and then twice more at lunch in English and Azeri- and a cake. In fact you could break the day into two things I did. EAT and try to help some orphans. But mostly eat. I went to lunch with Charlie, then with my office 9where I had to eat two pieces of cake). Then I went to a meeting at an orphanage with Josh to try to get them a volunteer for next year, and then another meeting at another orphanage. After that I went home, guess what was there MORE CAKE! After that Momi called and sang! Then dinner, then CAKE. Oh yeah and my host sister and mother sang to me in English it was Awesome. So when Josh and Charlie left for some reason Charlie asked if anyone had sang to me, I laughed and told them- several times. So I guess they either because they are Charlie and Josh or because they couldn’t be outdone by Azeri’s and Norwegians they sang me a spontaneous doo-wop rendition of Happy Birthday on my doorstep! Then my host mother decided that my puppy should be allowed inside to wish me happy birthday and allowed him to hang out with us in the living room (this is a first!) and I unwrapped my first Azeri present, and it was exactly what I was hoping for, a mug with my zodiac symbol on it. It is just like the one I drink out of every morning with their daughter’s symbol on it. I sat there for a little bit with my host mother and puppy but then it was time to put my birthday butt to bed!

So 27 was an awesome birthday, but just in case that wasn’t enough there are still packages on the way, I believe ol’ one tooth, my delightful postman has developed a sense of humor about package hording. I was certain I had packages there yesterday and he swears I don’t. But he kind of laughed at my determination. And with my own eyes I saw the package for Charlie and when Charlie came in, he said there was no mail for him. Well that’s fine it just extends the holiday, and I love it when he gets sassy! Also my computer should be on its way to Sheki today and I still have a dinner with the Norwegians sometime this week. So 27 is off to a roaring start and I would like to thank you all for making it so great.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home