magda's travels

After a year at home in San Diego I picked up and moved to Tanzania, so I thought I would dust off the old blog again so I could keep people up-dated on my life. But as always its content is not a reflection of the U.S. government, Peace Corps or anything else.

Monday, May 21, 2007

I mean it’s beautiful here!



It’s gone all sorts of pretty here. It’s warm, not too hot yet and everything is green!

How do I explain what I’ve been up to. Well, hmm… There’s two weekends ago where we had our first Softball tournament, where Sheki did pretty good and I only accidentally hit Ash with a bat twice! I think our team will be strong (if I can stop breaking people) and starting a softball league in Azerbaijan is really quite cool! From Berda I went to Baku, for Gender in Development training. Any of you who know me, probably know that this stuff is right up my alley. I found it to be the best training since “right to play,” and it is hard to beat training that is just teaching you how to play and teach games! After three long days of training I finally came back to Sheki, Charlie and I had a chance to hang out before guests arrived for the weekend. These guests happened to be some of the more sarcastic boys of AZ3. I had a good time hanging out with them and I think that we made one of the all time best life decisions to take the camping. Once safely atop a mountain, the boys were free to be as loud and as boisterous as they pleased- which is good, because loud and boisterous is just what they were. We built a huge fire and roasted kebabs and hot dogs. The guys went through the meat like frenzied wolves it was hysterical to watch. I have to get the pictures from Charlie, because they are great. Sunday morning we awoke before the sun and headed on down the mountain to make some scrambled eggs for breakfast. Monday I wrote up an email to a future PCV who ask what my typical day was like, I explained that there are no typical days here. I told her what my plans were for the day, and by the time I sent the email, it was all wrong because I ended up volunteering to be the point person for the logistics of a 40,000lbs book donation that requires and the requests to be in tomorrow. I told that to Charlie and he laughed and said, yeah, “I was going to go check my email but (two guys we teach) called and asked me to have a beer with them in the park and they ended up teaching me to break dance!” I think that is just about the perfect way to describe what life is like here. It’s busy, the weather is beautiful, and just we you think you know what you are going to do that day something changes and all of the sudden you are managing a new project or doing hand stands in the park! God I love Peace Corps.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home